Initial Portfolio | WIP

1) A Winter Vaction Project. Clothing Identity & Brand Creation. 



The Brief: What is the optimal message? 
The clothing line is going to be named "Rocksolid". This name came to me in a dream. The colors I would like to use are black and green with a touch of red and orange. It will be a dressy curvy line for the women and fun for men. I want to communicate each piece is unique and recycled. The green colors for the logo are to remind buyers they are living "green" My clothing line is all about repurposed, recycled and reused. It will be cotton mostly and colorful. The desired stereotype will be 20ish to 50ish forward thinking thoughtful stewards of our resources. It will not be a contemporary line however there will be some ornamental association. The era is timeless.

Notes and Ideation: 

As you know, clothing sales are closely tied to music, art and couples photo shoots. One thing I keep thinking about is how pictorially dependent clothing branding is. Not that the logo must be pictorial but that the logo needs be accompanied by photographic visuals. In these cases a mark is often simplified for better pairing with photography. With fashion, graphics are subordinate so photography of your merchandise has dominance. There are a few youth based exceptions. 

You have many ways to describe a solid. Solid color, logic, composition, poetic scale, shape or feeling are a few. I hope to develop strong advertising and branding for this client. Style is a top priority for my portfolio because the trend for clothing is anti corporate.

Figure one: (An email to the client) A mark in this tradition will be considered as an effort to compare fashion wisdom. Reflecting initials are set on a soft solid emblem making your work signed art. The font Tuxedo is only softly adorned reversing time with a slab serif. The weight of the circle and the Initials harbor similarities to high sewing brands. Amendments like leafs could allow your Eco-fashion goals to show through. I suggested to simply use photography to reinforce the mission and to color the circle a solid green. I like high contrast as an expression of timeless. Image search kohler advertisements.

This first study was too modern for the client. Concerned for creating a solid, I thought of shapes which might better describe a solid. I was trying to avoid anything that resembled country music or the stuff a "Rock Solid" might infer. 
Timeless?!... a "Rock Solid" as Timeless? "  This naming things from a dream was funny and frustrating.









Here I dove into word mapping to meet my clients literal aesthetic and found objects which could combine to 
suggest re-purposed or a cotton soft solid.
Some symbols for "Rock Solid" clothing might include: needles, buttons, thimbles, fig leafs, rocks, moths or tough animals.


Possible advertising:
"Many clothing designers are saving the animals their brand signifies. Rock Solid isn't saving rocks but we terracycle, which helps the environment. I'm pretty sure animals live there." 
Myth and history sometimes combine. Following the taurus and unicorn symbols I was able to blend and force out some of the sentiments my client had hoped to impress. 



Here the Legend of the Excalibur manifested. Stylistic alterations will be made to meet the clients personal fashions.


Possible advertising:
The fabrics of our society need mending. The new world is under attack. The Excalibur needle awaits for you to save our kingdom from the bondage of debt and waste caused by "Master-Kards" pit dragon “Dumpster”.




2) Self Explore & Study Design as a Process.

The Brief: Really dig. Study various methods of inspiration for the creative process. Selling your ability depends on knowing your strengths, gaining subject knowledge and prioritizing audience discovery.
Known areas for improvement:
Einstein called the creative process combinatorial play. Break away from cursory ideas by using the the six hats, taste profiling, persuasion profiling, 16 motives, &  (T.U.D.C) Trivergent, Univergent, Divergent & Convergent thought mapping.



Heart, mind and gut instinct. Steve Jobs said "You never know when the dots are going to connect". Both lower communication needs and higher needs are brand opportunities determined by budget. Long term relationships require designing smarter user and buyer experiences.



3)A Major Design Movement.

The Brief: Analyze forms the world can be broken into. Synthesize a self portrait in the cubist style.   



4) University PR

The Brief:  Brand a technology change. Over the next 3 years Weber State is looking to update its lighting systems with automatic technology. The changes have met some resistance among faculty concerned about new technology. 

Notes of Ideation: 

A play on words. The faculty are discuraged by the switched technology while the technology itself is removing the need for any physical switches. The play on words purposely missquote a commonly missquoted 50 year old film. The audience will be both students and faculty. Among the many posters on campus and fast passed foot traffic, I chose an iconic design which could carry both a brand or quick to read message. The project was constructed after learning about the constructivism movement.

The yellow and black colors are for better visibility. The colors should be altered to have less of a caution sign symbolism. I would like to re-purpose this icon for a packaging automatic LED light bulbs. Some Lights on the market are even used for musical displays.


Click to enlarge the image below. This was the presention layout. Left stage are energetic T-shirts for the installation construction crew. Center stage is the Identity displayed much like it would appear on Weber's Website. Thirdly and far right is the poster which would be placed through out the campus to help notify the public.
Below are alternative colors I felt would address WSU's overkill on purple.
I would like to re-purpose this Identity for some automated lighting. Perhaps a bulb that responds to music. love, love, love package design.




5) Identity 

The Brief: Populate your Logo's vertically to discover potential improvements. Write about the pro's and con's you notice about these marks. Identify your ideal clients for a final portfolio.
I love outdoor equipment. The above Image could be either my personal identity or a outdoor equipment label.
Food is another personal interest. I enjoy the table toppers displaying deserts and the menu's themselves.
Though important, the Wounded Soldiers Foundation may not be a career making design. When I was a kid my friend invited me to help clean up after a flood in Vernonia Oregon. The work felt more rewarding than any paycheck. Since Vernonia, I need to work for people. I am realizing that as a designer my job is to sell things I believe in. Not enough of my project's show this interest. 






6) Identity 

The Brief: The client had the concept. I created the project and later he found a similar product and logo. His competitor had the same exact illustrated idea only with different name. We are discussing the possibility that this might be a good thing. The "Living Pure" brand is endorsed by Montel Williams. Trademark experts can tell us if it matters that the two logo's share a leaf and color scheme.
Same client different project.
7) Packaging

The Brief: The client ordered clear bags and would like a generic insert to act like a cover. FedPets is a pet food delivery service. My goal is to create his brand. Requested copy should say "Swag Bag" and "for your pet".




8) Cover Art

The Brief: Take a stock image and title a book based off how the image feels. Create a diagram that shows eye movement for strong visual interest.



9) Re-brand & Brand Maintenance. 

The Brief:  Re-design an Identity and several publications for a local business. Though greatly improved these redesigns were rejected. I never want to design for another contractor again.





10) Technology Client


The Brief: Foster a relationship with a company you would like to create branding for.





11) Identity


The Brief: Improve the clients idea.  The Logo is a domain name. The service is a screen sharing online support team. Two software retailers send their clients to this help group for a few hundred dollars a month. The mark responds to a request to include two monitors. Two monitors because the support uses screen sharing technology to access the publics computers remotely. I configured them much like a bow tie might appear. Bow ties fit into one of two categories. James Bond or Geek Squad. For computer support teams appearing geeky helps attract customers. For three hundred dollars a month this tech savvy group had better answer the phone wearing a tie.









 


12) WWWeb With a POV.


The Brief: While developing front end web product displays, push a "point of view" or author a "call to action" so that clients will recognize you for your visual communication ideas.








 
13) Hidden Potential.


The Brief:  The semester before the creation of these type studies I had taken color theory. The goal was to push the envelop on color while studying the grid system of organization with type. The words were arguements made visual. I used my deaf mother for inspiration.  Interpreting for her has always been my job. I can imagine this energetic style being used for branding orchestra events or something like bed sheets for font fanatics.

.
.


Below were efforts to understand the strengths of type. I can see using thoughtfully cropped letters like these for branding. The evolution of our written language has a deserving history.







14) My Friends Are Old Sketches. 

The Brief: Build a restaurant identity and menu from old sketches.





















15) Random Skill Sets


The Brief: Display works which could show technical skills. I have strong desires to illustrate for a company like Pixar. I can imagine this interest carrying over into television commercials centered on advertising through animated cartoon illustrations.


Photoshop alteration.

3D Maya software caricature.